6-2. Data-driven accelerated materials design with machine learning and high-throughput computing

6-2. Data-driven accelerated materials design with machine learning and high-throughput computing

Wei Chen

Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL

Abstract: Accelerating the discovery of advanced materials is essential for sustainable development and manufacturing innovation. In the talk, I will discuss how the integration of machine learning and high-throughput computing can help uncover the missing piece for accelerated materials design.

I will talk about the development of a comprehensive database of elastic tensors and its contribution to the discovery of a new class of thermoelectric materials. In combination with a newly developed machine learning framework, the elasticity database has been leveraged to design superhard materials and explore high-entropy alloys. The ability to quantify how microscale parameters affect the macroscale material properties marks an important step towards the ab initio prediction of material design rules. Moving beyond bulk phenomena of materials, understanding defect structure is the new frontier for data-driven materials research. I will introduce an effort in applying high-throughput calculations in understanding point defects in intermetallic compounds and how machine learning can elevate this information to derive rules for predicting point-defect types. Lastly, I will discuss the application of machine learning on analyzing and understanding experimental datasets, such as thermodynamic measurements and electron microscope images, for materials design and discovery.

Brief Introduction of Speaker
陈伟

美国伊利诺伊理工学院机械材料航空工程系助理教授。美国西北大学材料科学与工程博士。本科毕业于上海交通大学材料科学与工程学院,中科院上海硅酸盐研究所材料科学硕士。 2012至2015年在美国能源部劳伦斯伯克利国家实验室工作期间,从事美国材料基因组计划Materials Project相关课题研究。主要研究方向为基于第一性原理的高通量计算和数据挖掘,以及应用机器学习方法发现和设计功能及结构材料。主持美国自然科学基金多项机器学习及计算材料学项目。发表论文40余篇,引用近4000次。